As the Founder and CEO of Foodnerd, Sharon Cryan’s personal mission is to shape the future of food by harnessing the power of sprouting and plant-based ingredients. She is committed to crafting products that boost health, wellness, and encourage self-love.
Having grown up in Buffalo, NY in a large family, Cryan saw first-hand the chronic health challenges that faced her loved ones and set out to make a change through nutrition. Initially, Cryan put herself through law school, earning a Juris Doctor (J.D) from Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center in NYC. While taking on both law school and several part-time jobs, she turned to her diet to provide her with the energy to tackle her busy schedule. Her friends and classmates took notice, and she began preparing meals for them through a careful selection of nutrient-dense foods.
After a brief stint practicing law, Cryan returned to Buffalo to start Foodnerd, a company dedicated to creating positively processed food with a purpose. Under her leadership, the company recently launched its first superfood product, OverNights - the first raw & sprouted overnight breakfast product available to consumers. Foodnerd is working alongside researchers and food scientists to understand and develop processes and foods that pack nutrients into tasty, convenient snacks and meals.
In this episode Yoga Is Vegan's Holly Skodis and Foodnerd's Sharon Cryan discuss the following:
- Nutrient dense food
- Government cheese and growing up in a low income household
- Eating organic vegan food on a low income
- Emotional eating
- The benefits of eating sprouting foods
- In Search of the Wild Tofurky: How a business Misfit Pioneered Plant-Based Foods Before They Were Cool by Seth Tibbott
- The benefits of sprouted foods
- Get the latest nutritional science at nutritionfacts.org
- Dr. Neil Barnard and the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- 2020 Virtual Cincy VegFest October 24 12 pm- 5 pm EST. For more information visit www.cincyvegfest.com and follow @cvegfest on IG and Facebook for updates
- Raw Conversations Episode 4: Emotional Eating with Yoga Instructor, Holly Skodis Listen on Anchor or watch on YouTube
Connect with Sharon Cryan: