Victoria Moran has been a Main Street Vegan® for 37 years and she held the title of Peta’s Sexiest Vegan Over 50, alongside the male winner, Joel Kahn, MD, in 2016/17. She is the bestselling author of thirteen books, including Creating a Charmed Life (in 30 languages around the world); the gentle weight loss classic, The Love-Powered Diet, reflecting the author’s own struggle with and recovery from compulsive eating; The Good Karma Diet, celebrating a high-green, high-raw, high-energy food style; the iconic Main Street Vegan; and her latest, The Main Street Vegan Academy Cookbook, coauthored with JL Fields. Victoria’s college thesis became Compassion the Ultimate Ethic: An Exploration of Veganism, originally published in 1985 and the first work on vegan philosophy and practice to come from a major publisher.
Victoria is also an inspirational speaker, corporate spokesperson, certified holistic health counselor (HHC, AADP), and founder and director of Main Street Vegan Academy, training and certifying vegan lifestyle coaches. A graduate of the T. Colin Campbell Foundation/eCornell program in plant-based nutrition and a certified Holistic Health Coach (HHC, AADP), she hosts the Main Street Vegan radio show/podcast, awarded the Outstanding Vegan Media Outlet award in 2015 and noted by Feedspot in January 2019 among #3 in the Top 25 Vegan Podcasts. If interested in our academy, click here to apply. And she is lead producer of Thomas Wade Jackson’s exquisite documentary, A Prayer for Compassion, to introduce vegan living to people of faith.
Cited by VegNews among the Top 10 Contemporary Vegetarian Authors, Victoria appeared twice on The Oprah Winfrey Show and her articles have appeared in Yoga Journal, Mothering, Natural Health, Woman’s Day, Martha Stewart’s Whole Living, VegNews, and Vegetarian Times. Her work has been noted in USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, the Washington Post, Self, Elle, Glamour, Allure, and O, the Oprah Magazine.
Moran lives with her husband, writer and musician, William Melton, in a LEED-certified green condominium in New York City’s thriving Harlem neighborhood. They’re co-humans to a rescue-dog, Forbes, and rescue pigeon, Thunder.
Chandra/Jo Sgammato is a certified Integral Yoga instructor and has served in a variety of capacities, including General Manager, Executive Director and Board Member at Integral Yoga Institute of New York for more than 20 years. A former book publishing executive and bestselling author, she is also the founder of Yoga At School, a program that brings Integral Yoga into schools throughout the five boroughs. She has produced numerous programs on the wide array of Yoga's gifts to the world.
In this episode Yoga Is Vegan's Holly Skodis, Victoria Moran and Chandra discuss the following:
- Yoga Goes Vegan
- The six branches of Integral Yoga; Hatha Yoga, Raja Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga, Jnana Yoga, & Japa Yoga
- Listen to Victoria Moran's episode 16 on the yoga is vegan podcast
- Bhakti Center NYC
- Manu Dawson Yoga is Vegan Episode 11
- Transcendental Meditation
- Meat out Day - created by the founder of the Farm Animal Rights Movement Dr. Alex Hershaft
- Swami Satchidananda
- Dr. Dean Ornish
- The Yoga Way: Food for Body, Mind & Spirit by Sri Swami Satchidananda
- Yoga Goes Vegan: An All-Day Gathering and Retreat If you are financially in need, you can apply for a grant by emailing Chandra to request one.
- Nutiva Organic Vegan Ghee
- Join Holly Skodis and Co-host John Caldwell Saturdays 12pm EST in the Plantbased Club on Clubhouse. Download the Clubhouse app and reserve your handle. Once you are in follow @hollyskodis and @vegsurfer and click the bell in the bio for notifications.