Jonina Turzi is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and a Yoga Educator who teaches group classes, private sessions, and leads yoga teacher trainings in Lancaster, PA. She is the owner of West End Yoga Studio in downtown Lancaster and is a co-founder and resident of Lancaster Farm Sanctuary, a nonprofit farmed animal rescue, education, and advocacy center that is home to 40 liberated beings including cows, pigs, sheep, goats, turkeys, ducks, and chickens.
Jonina got her start in animal activism by becoming a District Leader for the Humane Society of the United States with her partner Sarah Salluzzo. After reading The World Peace Diet by Dr. Will Tuttle she realized she wanted to expand her activism from a focus on legislative progress in animal welfare to include the ethical and spiritual stance of freedom for all beings inherent in the yoga tradition as realized through veganism and animal rights activism.
In her private physical therapy practice, Jonina sees clients daily to provide Functional Manual Therapy, and a variety of postural and osteopathic interventions for chronic and complex pain including visceral and craniosacral therapies.
Through her yoga training called Yoga Sanctuary School, and in all her yoga class offerings, Jonina encourages yoga teachers and students to yoke the benefits of their personal practice to the benefit of all beings.
In this episode YIV's Holly Skodis and Jonina Turzi discuss:
- The concept of herdism as coined by Dr. Will Tuttle in his book The World Peace Diet. For more on Dr. Tuttle listen to YIV's podcast episode 7.
- Approaches to addressing Thanksgiving and other family and friend invitations as a vegan.
Yoga and Vegetarianism by Sharon Gannon
- Yoga professor Jonathan Dickstein
- Anna Ferguson. For more on Anna Ferguson listen to YIV's podcast episode 4.
- Lancaster Farm Sanctuary
- Genetic manipulation of farm animals. Why it hurts to just exist.
- Why eating eggs is unnatural and cruel to egg-laying hens.
- How to spot animals being transported to slaughter and factory farms.
- Supporting farmers by helping them transition towards plant-based
- Neil Barnard's medical group PCRM submitted a petition with the FDA to change the labeling on cheese to include a cancer warning. Read the article,
"Doctors Group Petition FDA to Put Cancer Warning on Cheese" on VegNews
- Michael Gregor's Nutritionfacts.org
The Last Pig Documentary
- Osteopathic manual therapy and cranial sacral and visceral manipulation. Vagus nerve tension, adhesions and blockages and how they relate to the chakras.
- Somato-Emotional Release
- Guru Singh on Consciousness Rich Roll Podcast Episode 468
- West End Yoga Studio